Sunday, September 28, 2008

cho gotsui, ne.

Recently, there's been some amazing sunsets that I've been watching from my front door. The picture below was taken on Saturday night before going to the ume-shu party.


And, speaking of ume-shu, our homemade plum alcohol turned out great. Back in June I posted about how a group of us went to a farm and picked plums (ume) and bottled them with rock sugar and liquor. Three and a half months later, I opened mine on the night of the party and was surprised at how good it was. Here are the various jars of ume-shu (mine is on the far right...photo credit to Sarah).


Having many different mixes to choose from was nice because they all had a distinct taste. Yuko made her batch with brandy, I used less sugar than was called for, some people's plums were of a different variety, etc.

Afterwards, me, Caitlin, and Dianne (a first year teacher from New Zealand) headed out to karaoke. It was an intense two hours of singing, concluding with a seemingly never ending version of Led Zeppelin's 'Achilles' Last Stand'. I woke up in the afternoon yesterday feeling pretty bad, mainly because I was sore from singing and getting acrobatic in the karaoke booth. We were grossly overcharged for our two hours spent there but upon a day's reflection I'd say that it's karma for our un-Japanese behavior.


It's Monday and I am feeling good. The weather is nice and cool, my classes are going well, and next week I will be in Korea hanging out with Jon. Sugoi.

2 comments:

Caitlin said...

Ume-shu is
T.O.X.I.C.

The Sun in a Net said...

있다가 봐다!!!!!!! Bobo is comin to the Kojo!

eh? nan de?

naruto-shi, tokushima-ken, Japan
teaching my native tongue on the world famous island of shikoku, japan.