Wednesday, February 13, 2008

valentine's day 10k

Well, I've been meaning to get back into running recently and I think that doing a 10 kilometer race (6.2 miles) in the middle of February with my students was a good way to do that. I woke up this morning and biked to my high school and joined the students in the baseball field where they were preparing to run. One of the teachers told me that if they didn't complete the race in under 75 minutes, they'd have to run it again.


I ended up finishing in 48 minutes. The course was mainly by the seaside through rice fields and farms on roads that were in good shape and fairly flat. The last two kilometers were a bit difficult as the sun was in my face while I was trying to keep myself together and cross the finish line in a decent time.


Two of the girls that attend the school cheered the runners on and proved that looking is good is more important than keeping warm in the middle of winter.


And finally, I received a Valentine's Day card from one of my favorite students that put me in good spirits during what's usually a pretty dreary time of the year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brad,

That's a pretty long run if you haven't been running. Oh, I forgot that you ride your bike a lot. That will keep you legs and lungs in condition.
Talk to you soon.

Dad

eh? nan de?

naruto-shi, tokushima-ken, Japan
teaching my native tongue on the world famous island of shikoku, japan.