Sunday, February 24, 2008

ikeda sake festival


OK, so this is how to describe an osake-matsuri (sake festival) in western Tokushima:

-Literally enough sake in one room to get the entire town of Ikeda at least 'buzzed'.
-This room having one of the craziest smells that I've ever come across...I can't even begin to describe it.
-Plastic taped to the floor so that you don't have to worry about taking your shoes off when you get into the building (this is very un-Japanese).
-Scores of people passed out in folding chairs throughout the day...and most of them in their late 60s and 70s.
-Realizing that there's really no way to pace yourself at an event like this.
-Realizing that eating breakfast beforehand would have been smart.


We basically stayed there until it became too difficult to consume Japan's famous beverage and left for some food and a nice, smooth beer.


But this guy wasn't going anywhere.


And people like this took the event a bit more seriously that I did.


As I randomly make my way through various small towns around here I'm happy to say that I'm coming away with more than a few hazy memories of friendly old men, strange alcohol, and multiple days of recovery.

No comments:

eh? nan de?

naruto-shi, tokushima-ken, Japan
teaching my native tongue on the world famous island of shikoku, japan.