Tuesday, October 23, 2007

10/24/07

Today is a Wednesday and I'm feeling a bit tired here at school but it's nice that I've already taught the majority of my classes and it's only 11:20 AM. My last class today will be at 2:00 PM so I've got some time to catch up on some emails, drink tea (the stuff that they've got in the faculty room is excellent!), and study Japanese. On Thursday nights I've got my Japanese lesson with Miori sensei, a retired teacher whose husband is a principal at an Elementary school in Naruto. Private lessons are good because if you aren't studying beforehand it's painfully obvious. Depending on the situation, this can be a good or a bad thing.

Jumping to an unrelated topic, I found a wonderful little macrobiotic health food store here in the city called 'Anew'. I've only visited here twice so far but I've been stocking up on things that I'll use in my day-to-day food preparation such as all-natural honey (in bulk), BROWN RICE! (I was very happy to find this in Naruto!), sesame butter, nori (seaweed), matcha (green tea powder used in tea ceremonies), apple cider vinegar, good quality olive oil, unsweetened organic cereal, and a few other things. When putting ones self in an entirely new situation you really discover the things that hold importance to you. My interest in foods and cooking remains as one of these things. I'm happy that I can still eat mainly raw foods throughout my day but at the same time not get bent out of shape if I break from my usual eating habits (which I often do).


Here's a bit on the philospohy of marcrobiotics (from www.wikipedia.com):


"Followers of the macrobiotic approach believe that food and food quality powerfully affects health, well being, and happiness. The macrobiotic approach suggests choosing food that is less processed and more natural, and employing more traditional methods of cooking for family, friends, and oneself.

One goal of the macrobiotic philosophy and practice is to become sensitive to the true effects of foods on health and well being. In this way, one goes beyond rules and regulations concerning diet to choosing foods that sustains one's health. Also, dietary guidelines help one to develop sensitivity and an intuitive sense for what sustains one's health and well-being in diet as well as relationships and activities.

Macrobiotics emphasizes locally grown whole grain cereals, pulses (legumes), vegetables, seaweed, fermented soy products and fruit, combined into meals according to the principle of balance (known as yin and yang). Dietary recommendations include whole grains, such as brown rice, and other whole grain products, such as buckwheat pasta (soba); a variety of cooked and raw vegetables; beans and bean products, such as tofu, tempeh and miso; sea vegetables; mild natural seasonings; fish; nuts and seeds; mild (non-stimulating) beverages, such as bancha twig tea; and fruit."

(Below- my new friends Mika [foreground] and Michiko at Anew.)

No comments:

eh? nan de?

naruto-shi, tokushima-ken, Japan
teaching my native tongue on the world famous island of shikoku, japan.