Tuesday, October 2, 2007

a normal day at Naruto Jr. High

If I ever think that my life is somewhat normal here in Japan then i've got to remember the day-to-day experiences that I have at school. Today I came to Naruto Jr. High and taught three classes. I woke up at 6:30am and rode my bike a half an hour before taking a ferry across the water to my school. This is one of my favorite groups of students and teachers and it's easy to see why.

During a break from classes a teacher came over to my desk with four containers of ink. The last time I was at this school this same teacher had given me a stamp of the Japanese spelling for "Brad" and told me that stamps and letter writing are a few of his hobbies. He then showed me the traditional method of applying the ink and then put the "Brad" stamp on a piece of paper for me. He gave me the stamp, a small envelope of Chinese stationary that a friend had given him years ago, some indigenous Japanese nuts, and a keychain for my bike key. Today, this same teacher laid four different containers of red ink on my desk and asked me which one I liked best. I pointed out the darkest color red. "Ahh, a good choice," he said. "That one is the best quality." He took out a small scoop (made from a bird feather) and put some of the ink in a ceramic container for me. "Here, I want you to have this. I'd like for you to be interested in Japanese calligraphy and ink," he said. I told him that I'd use the stamp, ink, and paper for the letters that I write to people and, since I write a lot, these things will be put to good use. Feeling like I wanted to give him something back for the stamp he gave me last week, I came to school with some maple syrup from Vermont. I only have a few containers of it that I bought espicailly to give as gifts (omiyage) in Japan but I knew that he would appreciate the gesture. I gave it to him this morning and he was pleasently suprised at my returned act of generosity.

Last period a student tapped me on the back in the hallway and handed me a letter. She told me that she was going to write me one and I was very happy to recieve it. This is what she wrote (mistakes included):

Dear Mr. Brad,

Hello.
My name is Nakamura Shiori. Please call me Shiori. Class is 3B. Please remember me. When you was playing the drum in a school festival, I thought, "wondeful!!" It was very impressed.
I want to talk with you. So I wrote a letter. And, I want to know about you. Thank you for reading the last.
Then, good-bye.

From Nakamura Shiori


It's very cliche to say but when I am feeling lethargic at school, tired from the morning's bike ride, or not up for lesson planning, the enthusiasm of the students totally brings my mood back up. I feel very fortunate to be in a position where I'm influential in creating an understanding between two cultures. It's nice to be able to say that it's my job, too.

Tomorrow I'm off to South Korea for a week. I am hoping to post a few Kyoto pictures from the weekend later on in the evening. I should have a few hours to spare before packing up and heading out on my next adventure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work.

eh? nan de?

naruto-shi, tokushima-ken, Japan
teaching my native tongue on the world famous island of shikoku, japan.