Tuesday, September 4, 2007

a weekend in the inaka

Yesterday was a great day of teaching at Naruto Jr. High. I did four self introduction classes and ate lunch with the students as well. I'm already at the point where I could recite my 25 minute (or more) introduction in my sleep so the rest of this week is going to be pretty easy. Speaking of school lunches, something that I didn't know before coming to Japan is how different (from what I was used to) and almost ceremonial they are. Every student plays a part in prepping or serving the food and lunch is usually eaten in their homeroooms. Yesterday my class was very shy while eating but a few of the male students gave me their apple sauce cups, so I felt welcomed.

Just had my first class with some bullies. A group of five kids were disrupting the lesson the entire time and everyone else was too intimidated to participate because of them. They were trying to make me feel uncomfortable but I've dealt with a lot worse.

Male student: "Do you have a girlfriend?"
Me: "Hmm, that's a secret."
Male student: "Do you have a boyfriend?" (laughs)
Me: "Do YOU have boyfriend?"
Male student: "Ummm...yes?"

Outwitting a 15 year old when he attempts to embarrass you in a language he doesn't know isn't too difficult but watching teenagers compete for attention is annoying. However, these guys were actually quite nice outside of class.

So I've got some fun things to look forward to this weekend. Somehow I was convinced by a few fellow teachers to play drums in their band at their school's culture festival on Sunday. Practice is at 7:30am on Sunday morning and I'm only getting up that early on a weekend because this is an opportunity to play music- something I rarely pass up. I don't know anything about what songs we are doing but somehow all of the teachers know where I live so they're giving me a ride to the school. I'm also planning on taking a train out west to Ikeda to visit my friend Caitlin who a JET that grew up in Pittsburgh. I'm looking forward to seeing the western part of Tokushima...the pictures that I've seen from there have been incredible. Tonight I'm teaching a group of adults (including my supervisor) at the Board of Education office. It'll be a nice change of pace and a good chance for me to make some Japanese friends. Should be a fun evening.

No comments:

eh? nan de?

naruto-shi, tokushima-ken, Japan
teaching my native tongue on the world famous island of shikoku, japan.