Thursday, March 5, 2009

graduation season

Unlike schools in America, the school year here in Japan ends in March so this time of the year marks significant transitions for the lives of my students.


Last Saturday was Naruto Tech's graduation ceremony which prefaces pursuits of various futures such as carpentry, engineering, music, and sports, while others head straight into the workforce.



As you can see, it was an occasion worthy of some uniquely manicured nails.


Meanwhile at Naruto Jr. High, I taught my last English class to the 9th graders after getting to know them over the past year and a half.



Next Friday, I will be there as they transition from junior high to high school. It's no wonder my suit gets a lot of wear this time of the year.

3 comments:

Bobbi Drake said...

Did you create that "I want to remember you" worksheet? That's brilliant!

--Emily

brad said...

yeah, i really like that worksheet...the kids usually like to write 'I love you' really big somewhere on the paper.

Anonymous said...

Brad,

These are really good pictures!

Dad

eh? nan de?

naruto-shi, tokushima-ken, Japan
teaching my native tongue on the world famous island of shikoku, japan.