Wednesday, December 3, 2008

a short yet practical wish list for the holidays

-I wish that there was some ordinance that prevented farmers from burning things every day so that I didn't have to breathe in smoke while biking home and while in my apartment.
-I also wish that people couldn't smoke cigarettes inside the Board of Education office. Walking in here is like a weird time warp to the 1970s (or what I would imagine office polices to be like back then). I absolutely hate being subjected to cigarette smoke in an unventilated room but not many other people here seem to mind (besides Jill, Theo, and myself).
-It would be logical if the kerosene heater at my high school was turned off when it's not cold out. Today's weather is beautiful but the windows remain shut and the heater is on at full blast. Once the decision has been made to turn it on for the winter it stays on and I happen to be the one that sits at the desk right beside it.
-It would be nice if people didn't stare at me every day while I eat lunch and then rush over to see what I didn't eat and then ask why I dislike deep-fried ham.
-I wish that it was easier to get up in the morning when not using indoor heat.
-I wish that the NHK guy could take a hint while trying to make me pay for having a TV that I don't watch.
-I wish that I could find my copy of 'Botchan' that I bought in Matsuyama.
-Finally, it would be nice if it actually felt like December.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Brad,
As of Tuesday, uncle Dale is on his way to Costa Rico for the winter after a stop in Flordia to see an old friend. Mitch took him to the airport early A.M. to catch his flight. He'll be gone for six months.
Talk to you soon.
Dad

Anonymous said...

Brad,
I will buy a copy of Botchan in Matsuyama and give it to you next time I see you. Rika xx

eh? nan de?

naruto-shi, tokushima-ken, Japan
teaching my native tongue on the world famous island of shikoku, japan.