Tuesday, October 28, 2008

ni ju roku sai (twenty six years old)


This past Sunday I celebrated another birthday in Japan. Twenty six, from what I can tell so far, is one year past when people start saying that you're getting old. Twenty six is nice, it's kinda like just another year w/o the 'milestone' status that twenty five holds for some reason. But, anyway, I'd like to say thank you to everyone who wrote me a letter, sent me a long email update, shipped me package full of brownies, and made me feel like so many people were thinking of me. If only you all knew how much it means to come home to a letter waiting in the mailbox all the way out here in rural Japan...well, put simply, it makes me feel so much closer to the other side of the world. And, even if not at that exact moment, sometimes I really need that feeling. (I still haven't had a chance to respond to any emails or letters but I will as soon as I get the chance!)

But things are good these days. Without all (or most of) the ups and downs of last years' autumn, time is going by as I find myself busy most evenings and without a free weekend for a quite some time. I can feel myslef taking on the list of things that I want to do before I not longer a resident here. As of now, most of them involve camping, hiking, or bike trips.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures, Brad.

Dad

eh? nan de?

naruto-shi, tokushima-ken, Japan
teaching my native tongue on the world famous island of shikoku, japan.