Friday, August 22, 2008

first food co-op delivery

On Friday I came home for lunch and found a five foot high stack of boxes in front of my door. This was a very exciting day because the first shipment of organic vegetables and various all-natural foods had successfully arrived. Not only am I very happy to be eating organic food once again, but having groceries delivered saves me a lot of biking to and from the store.



I spent the majority of my weekend experimenting with some new recipes while consistently drinking large amounts of carrot and cabbage juice. One of the best things about my living situation is the time and money that I have to prepare food for myself. And speaking of money, I was surprised to find that most of the organic food was not much more expensive than the conventional produce that you'd find at the the grocery store.


On Saturday, Yuko and I hung out at a mountaintop park in Kamiyama and I took a nap that risked poisonous snake or mukade (poisonous centipedes) attacks. Although I didn't see any mukades this time, there were two really big snakes on the way back to the car. It was amusing but not surprising when I saw two junior high kids chasing them off the walking path. Figuring that these snakes were most likely poisonous, my reaction to them was pretty much the opposite. (Not the best picture of the snake below but it gives you an idea of how hard they can be to spot.)



Another notable attraction of this park is a very well-maintained statue of Tokushima Prefecture's mascot, Sudachi-kun. (Sudachi is a locally grown citrus fruit that resembles a lime in taste. Without a doubt, a main source of pride in the area.)


The udon shop at the top of the mountain was closed so we eventually made our way out of the park to grab some food. Going up and down this road was one of the many times I was glad to be in a car and not on a bike.


And now, it's back to this for just one more week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brad,

That looks like a lot of food!

Dad

Serge said...

That amount of food would definitely last you guys for a number of days! You'll definitely get to enjoy a lot of nutritious meals with these.

eh? nan de?

naruto-shi, tokushima-ken, Japan
teaching my native tongue on the world famous island of shikoku, japan.