Thursday, July 3, 2008

徳島の梅雨は終わりましたか(is the rainy season over in tokushima?)

I am hoping that it is because tomorrow I plan on biking about 100km down the east coast of the prefecture to a town called Mugi to camp out either in the woods or on the beach. Last weekend I did an 80km ride from Naruto to Ikeda (where Caitlin lives) and had no trouble doing it in a little under five hours (with a slashed tire and river swim in between). I didn't take any pictures on that ride but tomorrow I'll bring my camera because I'll be exploring some areas that I've never been to before.

It's super hot right now but for some reason I'm not affected by it too much (yet, at least). I'm also noticing the 'saltwater' smell in the air that isn't there in the winter...it's a good reminder that I live close to the beach. And, now that the cockroaches are back in my apartment, I'm not a bit surprised at seeing them on my tatami mat when I wake up. This year I kind of kick them out of the way while last year I was terrified of them for some reason. On that note, the strange array of bug bites that I've got on my legs is no surprise as well...

I hung out with my neighbors for the first time since winter the other day and it was nice to realize that I can have a choppy but usually decent conversation with them in Japanese. One of them speaks very little English so this allowed us to feel more like friends because his wife didn't have to translate everything for us. I'm sure she was happy about that, too.

Today is the 4th of July and I have been playing 'American Jeopardy' with my 9th graders. You would not believe how much they know about American history. It's pretty unbelievable because no only do they know this stuff but they can answer some difficult questions in a non-native language. ごついね!

That's about it for now. The heat has finally arrived and I'm spending these last few days before vacation eating quinoa with avocados, listening to Black Sabbath, studying some Japanese, and riding my bike everywhere. Oh yeah, and I'm still really excited about going home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brad,
I hope your ride along the coast line was a pleasant one.
Dad

eh? nan de?

naruto-shi, tokushima-ken, Japan
teaching my native tongue on the world famous island of shikoku, japan.